Emera seeks Presidential Permit for 1,000 MW Atlantic Link

Nova Scotia-based energy company Emera's Clean Power Northeast Development unit is seeking a U.S. Presidential Permit from the Department of Energy for development of the 375-mile, 1,000-megawatt Atlantic Link subsea power transmission project.

A Presidential Permit is mandated because the line will be crossing the U..S.-Canada border.

The proposed Atlantic high-voltage direct current (HVDC) transmission interconnection will be designed to deliver wind and hydro power from Atlantic Canada directly to the state of Massachusetts, Energy Business Review (EBR) reports.

“The request for a Presidential Permit is a significant milestone for Atlantic Link to ensure we continue to stay on track with our project schedule,” said Emera Major Renewables and Alternative Energy executive vice president Dan Muldoon.

U.S. government agencies will now initiate a formal review of the project, which includes assessing environmental impacts as well as impact on electric reliability, Kallanish Energy reports.

Scheduled to be commissioned is late 2022, the subsea cable would run from Coleson Cove, New Brunswick Canada, to Plymouth, Mass.

Emera said the project would receive roughly 70% of its energy from seven wind farms to be built in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, with the remaining 30% from hydro plants suppliers Nalcor Energy and NB Power in Atlantic Canada, EBR reported.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*


x

2

Posts Remaining

Register | Login